Have you seen your eBay sales drop over the past few months while your business on other marketplaces and your own website is thriving? Here is what eBay are doing to reverse this trend.
Overview: Buyers will be allowed to write product reviews and not only seller reviews on eBay. Two kinds of reviews will be possible – verified reviews from users who actually purchased the item and unverified reviews from users who didn’t.
Pros: Adding product reviews makes perfect sense
- increasing number of potential buyers want to check the product reviews before completing their purchase
- writing a review on a marketplace increases buyer loyalty towards the marketplace (some of the Amazon reviewers become real celebrities!)
- adding reviews should improve eBay’s SEO
- on a personal note, I know that as a buyer sometimes I go to Amazon just to read a review and end up buying something.
Cons: A lot of things can go wrong with product reviews
- buyers may review their poor buyer experience (such as late delivery) instead of the product itself
- eBay will recognise matching products using EAN’s – have you added EAN’s to your listings yet? Are you certain they are the correct ones? Otherwise, you may find your product attached to a review of something completely different
- eBay has been created basing upon a belief that people are honest but, sadly, quite often they are not! Sellers will end up buying fake reviews – positive for their products, negative for their competitors, buyers will write negative reviews to force you to refund their purchase etc. eBay will have to track fraud very carefully.
- Some new categories such as Wine and Sex Toys are being launched which should drive more buyers to the marketplace
- You will have to be a bit more careful when creating jewellery listings and use eBay-recommended specific wording
- eBay keep investing in their Vehicle parts category, probably the only one where they are doing better than Amazon and add parts compatibility tables for motorcycle and scooter parts
All of the above are genuinely exciting changes and I believe they are going in the right direction. Do you?